5 Essential Online Dating Tips

Image for post
Image for post

Be honest with your profile

Here is the thing. If you want something serious to come out of your dating app profile, be honest. There is no point in pretending you are someone else and then losing all the invested energy and time once the dating partner finds out what’s your real face and stops talking to you. While you might not be a fan of your personality, there is a person out there who is looking exactly for the personality you are hiding behind the fake descriptions.

Write a good description

While we all understand that descriptions are not going to find us love, they definitely can kick off the conversations, which will find our love. How many times have you messaged the person with a dull, senseless description? And how many times have you messaged someone with a description you can truly relate to? By writing a sentence or two, which are catchy and fun, you make it a lot less awkward for the match to start a conversation with you, and instantly facilitating a dialogue.

Ask questions

Do you ever start chatting by saying “hello”? If yes, you probably don’t end up chatting with many people, right? Here is the thing, using a greeting like hello or hi actually gets you fewer messages

Saying hey gets you 35% fewer messages.

Saying hello gets you 21% fewer messages.

Instead of saying hi, try relating your first message to the description or a profile picture. Be creative and ask how have they ended taking selfies in Las Vegas and forget about the awkward hellos for a while ;)

Understand the 90/10 online dating rule

In average dating apps, be mentally prepared for the fact that 90% of the stuff you are going to find online is mostly pure crap. Most of the people are using dating apps to get laid and erase the names and faces of their one night stands till the rest of their days. Only about 10% of the online daters will be worth your while, so for you to be able to succeed in online dating, you have to be willing to dig through these 90% of crap to find someone worthwhile. In Hily, we do things differently and make sure that you don’t have to go through so much of irrelevant profiles, and by using the artificial intelligence methods we find profiles which match your interest the most. In the end, the matches you will get in Hily will be totally worth it!

Take it offline as soon as possible

As soon as you have connected with someone, who falls in those 10 percent we talked about earlier, it is advisable to take things offline as soon as possible. If you continue spending most of the time communicating online, you are risking to lose the right moment to trigger butterflies and chemical connection between you two. Make sure you meet up as soon as you realise this person is worth your while and start a deeper investigation of your feelings towards each other. Unless you meet in real life, it will be challenging to realise whether you have feelings for each other, so do not waste your time and act strategically, but efficiently!

Written by

The smartest dating app there is, Hily caters to those tired of endless swiping. On Medium we're gladly sharing our expertise in dating.

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store