What really grinds your gears? Are you looking for flaws as a reason not to commit? Typically when you think about a dating deal breaker it is a BIG issue such as smoking or an inactive lifestyle. Sometimes people are so set in their ways that even little quirks can be deal breakers. Living alone can be great for your independence but after awhile you get set in your ways and it may be difficult to accept others habits, even small ones.
I guess I never realized how set in my ways I’d be in my thirties. It’s this constant push and pull because I want to be in a relationship, but I’m also so accustomed to being alone. The thought of sharing my space with someone terrifies me! Any little annoying thing a guy does feels like it’s going to be a deal breaker
— Patricia, 33
It all just depends on the length you want to go to be in a relationship. Would you change some of your quirks to appease your mate or vice versa? If you want to share your life with someone, something has to give.The only way you can completely have your own space is to live alone. The short of it is, talk to them if you see a future with them and maybe a compromise can come out of a heartfelt conversation rather than a breakup.
Just in case you are all out of ideas, I have come up with some ways for you to cope with your significant other’s “quirks” so that there can be amicable co-habitation.
- Respect each other’s independence
- Have “alone” days to reconnect with the you outside of your relationship
- Let each other have your own space within the house that is off limits, a retreat of your own that he/she cannot touch.
- Do not hover
- Make sure you do not follow your partner everywhere, they need space just as much as you do.
- Talk about the elephant in the room
- “It bothers me when you floss your teeth on the couch.” Something you thought was a deal breaker may be easily resolved with a simple conversation.
Best of luck out there in the dating world you beautiful independent singles! If you want to start looking, Join Hily today! https://gethily.app.link/medium